Saturday, September 13, 2008

Cakes Men Like...



This is from a hysterical book I bought a few years ago called 'Cakes Men Like' by Benjamin Darling. It contains 50 'fun filled recipes' for cakes that promised to make the most untalented housewife a domestic goddess, and thereby fulfill at least half of her matrimonial duty.

The recipes are taken from the promotional blurb produced by baking product manufacturers during the golden era of baking - 30's, 40's & 50's. I've attempted a couple of recipes in the past with mixed success, possibly because in some cases I've had to take a stab at what some of the ingredients actually are.

It's Tim's birthday today and while I'm tempted to make the pink-frosted birthday cake on page 9 that calls for 2 cups of sugar, 3/4 cup of shortening, 5 tsp of baking powder, and some other stuff, (like a trip to the ER when the chest pains begin) I'm going to make chocolate souffle. Tomorrow...

No comments: