Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My favourite gadget


Tim tells me my last post was too long. Sorry. I just like telling the story. Anyone can give you food on its own.  
For a change, I thought I'd share my last major purchase with you and tell you just how damned good it is in case you're thinking of investing. I can do that pretty quickly
I grew up with a white Sunbeam mixer with the glass bowls. A beautiful piece of equipment that was about 40 years old or maybe more. A couple of years ago it blew up on me. Literally. It was a sad afternoon. Nothing could be done to resuscitate it because nobody has the parts any more. 
I replaced this with a $10 supermarket hand-held job. That blew up on me the other week. Not a bad innings for $10.
I thought 'enough is enough' and Tim helpfully pointed out that I cooked enough to justify it (perhaps realising that the tasty treats would dry up otherwise) so I went out and bought a white Kitchen Aid Artisan mixer. 
It's gorgeous! It weighs a tonne, but it's another beautiful piece of equipment that I hope to have for many years. It's a joy to use. 
I recommend looking around online and in department stores before you purchase as I managed to get about $100 off the normal price. Also, certain colours will cost you more and you are literally paying for the 'it's hot right now' factor and nothing more.

No comments: