Monday, December 8, 2008

Thinking about tarts...

At this time of year, a lot of people have been thinking about fruit mince tarts for a while already. I know Tim has. Probably more than a few have had a mince mix on the go for weeks. My mum's best friend used to have it made about three months in advance, stored in a giant jar in the pantry that she turned over every few days. I didn't get it then. I do now.

I have to say that I didn't get quite that organised, particularly because the old fruit mince tart has never been my favourite Christmas treat. I think it has something to do with the stodgy, heavy, this doesn't bear any resemblance to fruit (or pastry for that matter), lame excuse for a tart that you can get cheaply at most supermarkets and that was thrust upon me as a child. Am I being harsh? Yes. But fair. If you can manage it, you are so much better off making your own. 

Determined not to buy any, but faced with people asking me for a recipe and Tim pining for a nice spot of tart, I decided to come up with my own recipe. I'm happy with it. The fruit mix will make oodles and last ages. I made 18 tarts to start with, but there's enough fruit left over for several dozen more. Unless Tim doesn't stop eating the stuff, in which case we'll either go without or I'll have to start from scratch. Oh yes - apparently it's great on porridge too.  

What I like about this mix is that it's not so sickly sweet and the different fruits are discernable. It's not just one dark, sludgy mass, encased in heavily shortened, much too sweet pastry. Some people may like to put in some more grog, or perhaps some jam, but I like this consistency. The orange juice and fresh apple really lighten the flavour up.  Even if some of the fruits may sound a bit odd in this mix, give it a go because there's a pretty good chance you'll wind up enjoying it a lot more than you thought you would. Just make sure you cut all the ingredients around the same size to avoid massive chunks of one thing against the smaller currants and craisins.

Use any pastry mix that you're comfortable with, but I'll put down my spelt flour recipe. As usual, you can swap the spelt for wheat flour if you like. It's all good.

For the mince:
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup chopped dried apple
1 cup currants
1 cup sultanas
1 cup chopped dried fig
1/3 cup mixed peel
1/3 cup chopped apricot
1/3 cup chopped glace cherries
1/4 cup chopped crystalised ginger
1 tbsp mixed spice
1/2 tbsp ground cloves
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/2 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
juice of two oranges
2 small peeled and grated apples
1 cup sherry

Stick this all in a large bowl, stir, cover and refrigerate for as long as it takes to use it. You can stir it every so often if you've got if for a few weeks.

Spelt pastry:
1 2/3 cup plain spelt flour
1/3 cup caster sugar
150g chopped butter, room temp
1 egg yolk
1 tsp ground cinnamon

I used my mixer, starting with the butter and flour until crumbly and then adding the rest. If you're finding it too dry, put in a few drops of water or milk. You could also make this by hand, or whack the lot in a food processor. Knead it lightly on a floured surface but don't overwork it. Wrap it in cling film and refrigerate for half an hour.

Roll cooled dough out on a floured surface and then cut rounds to the size of your muffin or tart tins. Don't worry if the rounds look to small and don't reach to the top - they're not meant to be the size of muffins! Grease the tins and press the pastry inside, pricking each one with a fork. Refrigerate for half an hour, then cook for 5 minutes in a hot oven - 200ºC/180ºC fan forced. 

Let the tart shells cool a little bit, then fill each one with fruit and press it in a bit. You can either cut more rounds for the tops, or cut shapes out of the leftover pastry or rolled marzipan. The marzipan tastes brilliant cooked. Brush the lot with lightly beaten egg yolk - doesn't matter if a bit gets into the fruit.

Bake for about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I printed out this receipe when you posted it, but only got around to making them today. They are delicious! I'm not sure there will be any left by Xmas unless I hide them away! Thanks and I love reading your posts! Jen, who came upon your site by chance

Julia said...

Thanks Jen. Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you. Pre-Christmas madness set in, followed by being away and then getting a holiday lurgy so I haven't done much in the last couple of weeks. I hope you had a great Christmas and that some goodies lasted for the day. If they didn't, hey, as long as your efforts were appreciated!

Christmas cooking is one of the most enjoyable things because everything is so special, but to be honest, I'm a bit relieved it's over for another year and I can start creating new things over the coming months. In March it will be a wedding cake which I've never done!

Anyway, it's really great to get feedback like this and I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe. I had another lady try the fruit mince and it soaked up all the alcohol quickly and she felt it was too dry. Simple response was add a bit more alcohol and see how you go!

Happy new year!