Sunday, February 8, 2009

Something to think about...

One of my colleagues sent me this. I'm not sure where it came from and I doubt it's a licence to throw caution to the wind and start eating whatever you want so long as it's washed down with red wine. It did get me (albeit temporarily) thinking about our national obsession with fat content, carb content, sugar content, salt content, portion control, meat intake, fibre, organic origins, etc, etc, etc. So I stopped thinking, went across the road and bought a double chocolate chip, gluten free cookie and my third large coffee for the day. (I would have bought red wine but it was only 10.45am!)


THE FINAL WORD ON NUTRITION

After an exhaustive review of the research literature, here's the final word on nutrition and health:


1.   Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

2.   Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

3.   Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

4.   Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

5.   Germans drink beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

6.   The French eat foie-gras, full fat cheese and drink red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than us


CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like.  Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

(In my limited experience, the Parisians would agree...)

2 comments:

Neet said...

Hey Julia,
The book 'In Defense of Food'by Michael Pollan is a very interesting and thought provoking read if you're interested in any of those kind of arguments. (and makes you feel better about eating from common sense!)
Hugs,
Neet

Julia said...

Thanks Neet. I'll have to have a look. Eating should be such a pleasure and I tend to think we spend way too much time considering the down side of food. It's a bit sad.