Tuesday, June 23, 2009

When good pannacotta goes bad

Our great mate Nathan (aka Dr Dootlittle) has long told stories of how easy pannacotta is to make. He wheels the stuff out at every possible opportunity he gets. (I mean, we all love the stuff, but nobody likes a showoff!!!) Convinced that it was easy and that it would taste brilliant and photograph beautifully, I tried. Sadly, I failed. In fact, I failed miserably. 

My pannacotta came out more like a moulded mound of mashed potato. It's like ice cream that isn't icy. Or cream that has somehow managed to solidify during mid-whip. There is no wobble. In fact, if it's possible to make a stodgy pannacotta, I managed it. Perhaps that's an achievement in itself?

So there it sits, in my fridge, untouched by Tim who usually wouldn't be put off by something like a dessert that doesn't wobble like it's meant to. In fact, he won't even photograph the stuff. He did very helpfully suggest that we pop it into the freezer and pass it off as ice cream. He meant well.

And with bruised ego, I leave this post here and will resort to Lindt for dessert this week.

No comments: