Sunday, October 18, 2009

Birthday cake

Yesterday was my birthday. It wasn't very exciting. Not that I was really expecting it to be, especially when it became clear that if we were going to have birthday cake, I'd have to make it myself.

To put this in perspective, I've been cooking ever since I was a kid and I can't actually remember many occasions when I haven't made my own birthday cake. There was the time when I was about eight that my cousin made something with lots of cream and blue icing. And another time mum made a M*A*S*H themed cake with a helicopter on top. But that's about it. I suppose the up-side of the arrangement is that I do whatever I feel like on the day.

Yesterday, I felt like chocolate and rum should be combined in some fashion. At the same time, I didn't want a really heavy, nut-meal based cake that wouldn't rise very much or would be too rich. I felt like your basic type cake. I haven't had one of those in many years.

I used a white spelt flour to achieve the basic style cake, although you could just use a normal self raising wheat flour and forgo the baking powder. I liked it and since people asked for seconds, I think it was a winner.

Ingredients
2 cups white spelt flour
200g dark chocolate
125g butter
3 eggs
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 - 1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp rum
1 tbsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 180ยบ C.

In a bowl over a saucepan of hot water, melt the chocolate and butter together, stirring as it melts.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until the mixture looks pale and thickens slightly. Fold in the chocolate and butter mixture until well combined. Add add the sour cream and rum and combine well. Sift in the dry ingredients and add 1/4 cup milk. Fold in gently or use the slow setting on the electric mixer. The mixture should not be overly runny, but if you feel that it's too stiff, add some more milk.

Line a spring form baking tin and spoon the mixture in. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour. At 45 minutes, test whether it's cooked by stabbing it with a skewer. Push it in right the way to the bottom of the cake. If it comes out clean, it's done.

I iced this with a plain white icing spiked with melted white chocolate and topped off with little pink hearts. I enjoyed it, including for breakfast today.

Oh, and I've carefully cut myself out of this photo and left the much more photogenic Layla in as the face of the evening.

4 comments:

Bells said...

happy birthday!! I'm curious about using different kinds of flour for cakes. I think I'll explore a little!

I never have birthday cakes because no one around me makes them. I think I need to make my own - nice idea.

Julia said...

Thanks!

Your average GF flour makes a revolting cake - dry, crumbly, gritty - YUCK! Spelt is like using regular flour. It's been a real Godsend and you'd never know the difference in taste.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

i didn't quite hear who tim was talking about last night when he said "it's julia's birthday..." so that's why i may have stared at you a little blankly!

the cake sounds fantastic! - and yes, if you wwant something done right it's always best to do it yourself!

great to see you both :) hope you are having a lovely wkend oxox

pol.

GenerallyGemma said...

Happy Birthday!!!! I don't think anyone has ever made a birthday cake for me either! Mind you, as you say, at least this way you get EXACTLY what you want!