Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Canberra when it sizzles...

It's hot. I mean, really hot. Dry and hot, but that's Canberra for you in the summertime.

Today it was too hot to walk the 10 minutes into town at lunch time. And I even wore flat shoes and a cotton dress to work. My natural inclination is to tend towards comfort by not wearing more clothing than necessary when summer heats up, while still maintaining a modicum of dignity and my professionalism. I would definitely not be inclined to wear something as archaic as a slip. But being such a lady I wore a slip today as I didn't think a clear view of my underpants was appropriate for the office. Pity I didn't realise until I got to work that the damned thing had slid down and was slightly longer than the dress. The whole effect was slightly grandmotherish and wouldn't do. So out came the stapler.

Stapling up the back bit was tricky, but my very accommodating and unflappable colleague Emma (who would never wear a slip that's too long), helped. She assured me that as a mother of two girls, nothing (such as the week before waxing legs) would phase her. I was in no position to be proud.

With hem of aforementionedd slip safely raised and with no fawn coloured beige lace showing, I ventured out onto the street. The slip situation didn't help, but at the end of the day it was just too darn hot, as the song goes. So I went back to my airconditioned office and read the news online. It's funny how we all long for summer and then when it heats up, everyone complains. Except Tim who loves the heat.

It's getting late but I'm still hot. Tim's hot. Ladybug is hot. We had hot soup for dinner. (Ladybug had cold dogfood. Dogs are smart). Maybe not that well thought through a decision, but it meant nobody had to cook and it's the first day the local laksa place has been open in a month. It's certainly too hot to attempt going to sleep. Grrrr....

So how does all this drivel lead into a food blog entry? Well, the long and the short of it is that it's too hot to cook and looks like it will stay too hot for another day or so. But stay tuned folks because I have a few cool things coming up on the weekend, including the start of a wedding cake which will be an experiment I promise to share, even if it's a total disaster!

In the meantime, I suggest a cool shower and a lemonade icypole.

No comments: